User Experience (UX) Research Methods
CS 594 | Listed as Empirical Methods in HCC
- Familiarity with basic qualitative UX research methods, like surveys, contextual inquiry, and 1:1 interviews.
- Familiarity with basic quantitative UX research methods, like log analysis, hypothesis testing, and meta-analysis.
- Design controlled experiments and identify independent and dependent variables.
- Use parametric and non-parametric statistics to analyze experiments.
- Understand how to use data for generative and evaluative computing research.
- Identify and operationalize different facets of usability and user experience.
- Understand, assess, and use appropriate metrics to measure user experience.
- Synthesize the “so what” and surface fresh insights and opportunity areas from UX research.
- Spring 2023
- Fall 2018
User Interface Design and Programming
- Employ usability engineering principles and concepts when building computing tools.
- Design user interfaces from a user-centered approach.
- Prototype user interfaces from a user-centered approach.
- Ideate, sketch, elaborate, and communicate user experiences and interface designs.
- Use techniques to improve a UI’s efficiency, learnability, and accessibility.
- Understand the basic principles of human error to design UI safety.
- Evaluate user interfaces using human-computer interaction principles.
- Conduct heuristic evaluation of user interfaces.
- Conduct user testing of computing applications.
- Fall 2022
- Fall 2021
- Spring 2021
- Spring 2019
- Spring 2018
CS 522 | Cross listed as COMM 522 and PSCH 522
- Understand basic HCI theory, terms, principles, and conceptual models
- Apply HCI principles toward user interface design.
- Analyze user needs and requirements.
- Translate user requirements into system prototypes.
- Sketch design ideas of a user interaction concept.
- Design iteratively a user interface based on formative evaluation results.
- Apply evaluation and usability testing methods to interactive products to validate design decisions.
- Recommend appropriate evaluation protocols to evaluate user experience.
- Ideate, sketch, elaborate, validate and communicate user experiences and interface designs
- Spring 2022
- Fall 2020
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2017